Friday 26 December 2014

And what about the cliches?

In the nick of time, I decided to write something as old as the hills. Since I feed my soul with drama, I always go for the eccentric gesture and express it in the most extreme emotions possible. Yes I do! That’s my mojo. You think that’s so cliché? I remember, somebody once told me, “Why have you started the article with a quote? Quotes and famous lines or poetry verses and clichés should be avoided.” I remember thinking to myself at that time, WHY! I love clichés and quotes. Ok, I know why. It just poor your writing credibility, but I don’t
think so.

Clichés are something like sentences and gestures that won “people’s choice award.” It has been tested and used for centuries and proven to work almost always. I am sure you all think, “Every cloud has a silver lining” or “Time heals all wounds” or “Fall head over heels” and what not. Even the cliché gestures like in You’ve got mail, where Meg Ryan says, “I wanted it to be you, I wanted it to be you so badly” to the handsome Hanks. Or sexiest man like Matthew McConaughey riding through town chasing his love, Kate Hudson, to tell her he loves her in How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days. What about Allie leaving her life and everything she is for the most beautiful man, Noah in The Notebook. Or like in every other South Indian movie, where girl and boy fall in love, people back home are fascists and not approve, and the lovers have “Romeo & Juliet” suicidal thoughts, but, at the end it all works out just damn freaking fine! That’s the power of clichés. Proof: Movies like that are still being made 
and played.

“You two Romeo and Juliet fell head over heels with each other. Maybe because opposites always attract. I know you both are frightened to death, but remember, all is fair in love and war. Wait for your silver lining and hope time heals all wounds.”
That paragraph right there is the cliché kingdom and not bad at all, is it?

Just FYI, the word cliché comes from two origins:
·         A sound - The French used the word to describe the sound that a matrix, or a mold with letters on it, made when it was being dropped into molten metal to make a printing plate.
·         A printing plate - Oddly enough, the printing plate itself was called a cliché or a stereotype and it was one of the first movable types in the world.

Clichés have lasted an eternity, and they continue to fit as a fiddle in our daily lives. 
Adios amigos, that’s all folks!
Fin




No comments:

Post a Comment