Thursday 11 December 2014

Travel Diary 1 - Gokarna

I believe in - travel as much as you can, as long as you can. Travelling helps me attain my Zen place away from the world. Just sitting next to the window passing through different cities, villages and culture makes me feel like a part of some new world I was meant to meet. Even if I can’t leave the city, I make sure I travel around in the city, in public transport making myself familiar with strange things and new people.
My recent trip to Gokarna was timed improperly in the middle of joining a new job and on weekdays. Nothing mattered to me as long as I could go there. I left Sunday night, travelling 520 kms and the journey relaxed my nerves from the busy week. Stepping in “poor man’s goa”, as known quiet popularly around 8 am next morning, my friends and I trekked down to Kudle beach – which is really a world within a world. It is an isolated, almost like a private beach. I personally choose Kudle to the others for its calmness and an endearing feel. It attracts me like a man is attracted to a woman in red dress and an angel’s voice. Just irresistible! After settling I got ready for the rest of the adventure. I knew what to look forward to. It’s not my first time you see. I was all set to jump in the water and be one with the sea. The water felt cold against the body but it was like a sip of ice water on a hot day. It brought me joy. I was like a four year old with a candy for dinner! The immense joy, water and the happy me just fit into the space perfectly in my mind. I did not want anything more, or anything less. I had found my balance. My skin did burn to charcoal! I don’t get why I don’t use sunscreen.
Kudle beach view
Picture courtesy: Monish Shanmugam Photography

After swim we relished a delicious meal. Even though shacks there don’t offer spicy Indian food because of the foreign travellers it is nonetheless delicious. We all sat in the shade of the café in utter silence, looking at the sun, sea and at one point our souls. We never conversed with each other, but just admired the horizon which someday I will reach! It’s on my to-do list. We spent the whole evening on the beach front café. The night fell upon us and we danced around the bonfire and giggled with the stars and said cheers to the moon. The night was so admirable – the moonlight hit the waves and water instantly turned to a glistening mercury looking lava rushing to shore. I just stood there for hours watching the waves turn 
grey silver.
Day 2, the sun waited for 5 hours to see me! We jollied in the beach all noon and got dressed for a trek! Trekking from Kudle Beach to OM Beach takes about 15 mins and the trek is not very steep and scary. We walked through the hills listening to birds chirping, sun shining bright like a diamond on the water (Thank you Beyonce for the phrase ;)) and of course my poor tired body which was betrayed by me with so much exercise. I had a north Indian lunch as my tongue was craving for chillies and spices. I swear, I am by blood south Indian even though my dad says I am Maharashtrian! We trekked back after a heavy lunch which was piquant and good. We planned to go for a boat ride, visiting all the beaches – Paradise, half moon, Om and finally back to Kudle but we figured our sweet sweet joy lies in Kudle on the sand, in the sun, near the beach.
This is from the trek! Now you know what i'm saying :)
Picture courtesy: Monish Shanmugam Photography
The night fell upon us, we had a nice conversation under the stars on a blanket. We cooed like animals and sang like birds, danced like peacocks and swam like fish that night. The next day we woke up with a sad face and a sombre mood followed. We knew we had to leave soon. But then, we met a Swedish professor who just loved talking forever. We had lunch with him and learnt things about Sweden. We packed when the sun was setting in the horizon and trekked up to Gokarna town to catch a bus home where we knew things would be the same. But I think we will always have the satisfaction of a well spent vacation. The bumpy ride back home through ghat section was unforgettable but also the scenic beauty, moonlight and my favourite song accompanied me all through the night. I sat there looking out the window reliving my vacation. I fell asleep dreaming to come back and the driver shouted, “Yeshwantpura stop!” in my freaking ears at 5am.

Take a vacation, even it is just for a weekend. Connect with yourself and be one with nature. You will find a deep sense of gratitude and love for all you have and all you wish for.    

No comments:

Post a Comment