Friday 20 February 2015

Try some; it's yum!

So today I would like to pour out my frustration about the age old bicker – “You’re vegetarian? Never ate non-veg? Is eating plants that breathe okay?!”

I am truly sick and frustrated with this question. Mainly because – I am a Brahmin; we are programmed to snarl or make disgusting faces when someone says meat!  Also because, I am a freaking vegetarian. I don’t comment or condemn you eating meat, so STOP asking me to start eating meat. If you want to promote something, maybe world peace or same sex marriage and even raising a vampire army is better than asking me to eat meat.

Here is my answer! I don’t eat meat, because my environment demands me not to; like it or not I grew up within this circle and it is home. Maybe in another environment I would’ve been a meat-eater. However, I also have another answer. I don’t believe in caste system or any kind of differences. But, I think – you are what you are from the Karma you have done in the past. Maybe previous life or this.

I’m sure all of you have heard, the way to get closer to god is to leave all worldly desires. Meat, alcohol, cigarettes, sex, hookah and many more things starting from a shoe, to a table, to a house is restricted to a sadhu – why? Because they are addictive. Brahmins are believed to be born out of less bad karma and more good karmas. Hence, we are restricted to eat meat, drink or smoke – just a way to make us stay away from falling back to the trap of worldly things. BTW, Brahmins is just a name given by us. Don’t go all “discriminating bitch” on me.

Same way – Kshetriyas were born to protect – to protect you need strength and power – so they are allowed to eat meat and indulge in worldly things – because they are here to save the world. Of course, if there is a Kshetriya who lives like a Brahmin – then it is said their next birth would be a better one. So, you get my point, I hope!
This reminds me, In the book Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts, one of the main characters explain Shantaram the difference between good and bad; which I think would fit perfectly to explain this situation.

He says, “Everything we do in this world, which leads to destruction is bad, otherwise is good.” He gives an example saying – Robbery is said to be bad. Not because it’s about integrity and taking away materials that is not yours. Imagine if everyone starts robbing – we will lead the world into destruction. That’s why it’s bad.
Same way – everyone eating meat would lead in extinction of animals, in turn destruction; because we live in a world where even bees, ants and cockroaches are important for human survival.


So next time before asking me why not, ask yourself, “Do I really care?”


Couples be like

Vegans be like

Meat-eaters be like

Skinny vegans be like

Eggs be like

Chicks be like

And i'm like ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment